A study of nearly 300 enterprise IT leaders shows new insights on infrastructure’s vital role in digital transformation
CHICAGO – February 12, 2020 – AHEAD, a leading provider of enterprise cloud solutions, today released the findings of its “State of Enterprise Digital Transformation” survey. The survey, conducted by Hanover Research and commissioned by AHEAD, provides an inside look at the digital transformation landscape, unveiling new insights around infrastructure’s role in transformation as well as six factors that contribute to digital transformation success.
Digital Transformation: Ubiquitous, Complex and Oftentimes Behind
The survey shows that 93% of enterprises are undergoing some kind of digital transformation driven primarily by a desire to cut costs (77%) and improve customer experience (71%). Yet of those surveyed, almost half (42%) are struggling to achieve success as they fall behind schedule or their efforts stall altogether.
The survey revealed the most common and difficult challenges of enterprise digital transformations are legacy systems (36%) and technical debt (24%). As such, 67% of respondents cited infrastructure as a big part of their digital transformation strategy.
Six Indicators of a Successful Digital Transformation
An analysis of the survey results revealed six factors that correlate with digital transformation success.
- Dedicated Leadership: The survey found that 83% of digital transformations that are on track or ahead of schedule are led by a CIO, CEO, CDO, or CTO. As digital transformation touches every part of an enterprise, company-wide buy-in is critical.
- All-In Approach: Transformations that are on track are 30% more likely to be structured as full-scale change initiatives. Because digital operations are often so interconnected, piecemeal and partial transformations can often be siloed and result in limited impact on the factors driving the transformation.
- Defined Digital Roadmap: Ninety-two percent of transformations that are on target or ahead of schedule have a defined strategy and roadmap that includes IT infrastructure and operations.
- Alignment Between Infrastructure and Apps: Enterprises powered by an integrated DevOps approach are 43% more likely to see success in digital transformation efforts. To avoid bottlenecks, enterprises should audit DevOps functions before undergoing digital transformation.
- Platform Mindset: Businesses that include IT infrastructure as a big part of their digital transformation are 36% more likely to have a successful transformation. As the backbone of a digital change initiative, an enterprise’s infrastructure determines how far the transformation will go and its limits.
- Commitment to Intelligent Operations: Companies that monitor IT performance in real time and remediate issues quickly are 24% more likely to undergo a successful digital transformation. Further, the survey found that enterprises are more likely to see success in digital transformation if they have confidence in their abilities to perform highly in areas of automation, monitoring, hybrid cloud models and integrated security.
“Our aim in conducting the survey was to identify those factors most critical to driving transformation success, as well as examine the role that infrastructure and operations play in success,” said Tom Pohlmann, head of customer success and marketing at AHEAD. “Transformations are complex and often involve conflicting objectives like cost cutting alongside customer experience improvements. Without a strong foundation on which to build, run and innovate, transformation efforts will fail.”
To learn more about the “State of Enterprise Digital Transformation” survey, download the eBook here.
Sponsored by AHEAD, the “State of Enterprise Digital Transformation” survey was conducted by Hanover Research between September – October 2019. Feedback was obtained from 293 key IT decision-makers with a direct influence on IT spend (director level and above) who work at a U.S.-based company with more than 1,000 employees.
AHEAD builds platforms for digital business. By weaving together advances in cloud infrastructure, automation and analytics, and software delivery, we help enterprises deliver on the promise of digital transformation. Learn more at https://www.ahead.com and follow us on Twitter at @ahead.